Lab Technician (Biorefinery)
About this role
You will become an important part of ULUU’s team by supporting the Biorefinery lead.
This role is based in our Biorefinery, where we process seaweed for our biopolymer production.
You will be supporting the Biorefinery lead in assisting with research & development of our seaweed hydrolysis process.
In addition to this, you’ll also be responsible for pilot-scale production of seaweed hydrolysate.
You will become a critical part of supporting the ULUU team and future.
In this busy and varied role, you will be carrying out general laboratory techniques as part of our friendly and passionate team in Watermans Bay, WA.
With a relevant Bachelor’s degree / diploma (listed under Requirements), you come to this position with previous laboratory experience and are competent in general techniques. Experience in a production environment (such as the dairy, brewing or pharmaceutical industries) is highly desirable as this role will involve the operation, maintenance and cleaning of processing equipment.
You have strong technical aptitude as the role requires maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment. You consider yourself “hands on,” self-motivated, resourceful and adaptive.
Fermentation knowledge is very advantageous for this position.
Your role at ULUU will be highly varied, with clear communication critical to your success. And, as ULUU is a young, exciting, start-up, you don’t mind pitching in other areas of the business when required.
Your role at ULUU will require being proactive, as we’re looking for someone to hit the ground running!
· Perform general laboratory techniques such as pipetting, centrifugation and use of analytical instruments (e.g. spectrophotometer)
· Operation, maintenance and cleaning of processing equipment
· Troubleshooting when issues arise with equipment
· Work with leadership to refine strategy and processes
· Assist with field, lab and office work when needed
· Develop positive working relationships within a tight-knit team environment
· Adhere to procedures and work systems in a systematic and safe manner
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. chemical/bioprocess engineering or life sciences), or relevant Diploma (e.g. laboratory techniques or manufacturing).
· Experience with general laboratory techniques
· Experience in production (desirable)
· Good knowledge of fermentation processes (desirable)
Job Type: Full-time
At ULUU, we’re looking for people with enthusiasm, grit, and integrity, and who have a calling to do something incredible for the world. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns.
Please join us on our mission to revive the world with ULUU!
Please apply by sending a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Lab Technician (Biorefinery), your name and surname’ as your email title.