Lab Technician (Monitoring)
About this role
You will become an important part of ULUU’s team by supporting the Monitoring lead.
You’ll contribute of our innovative bioproduction process utilising seawater and seaweed.
You’ll help to deliver our sustainable PHA polymer at a competitive production cost, working with our hydrolysis, fermentation and monitoring teams.
You will be involved with growth media preparation and bioreactor operation, to extraction of PHAs (using a uniquely clean process!).
You will contribute to bringing ULUU to market; sustainably, creatively & cost-effectively.
With a relevant Master’s / Bachelor’s degree (listed under Requirements) and commercial experience, you come to this position with extensive experience in a biochemistry laboratory.
Your experience spans plant biochemistry, addressing aspects such as extraction, derivatization, identification and characterisation of biomolecules.
You are tenacious and tackle problems hands-on, arriving at solutions to complex problems through scientific knowledge and leveraging the expertise of your team and others. You are detail-oriented and enjoy strategic thinking, as well as execution and troubleshooting alongside your team.
You have exemplary scientific and personal integrity, and consider yourself self-motivated and adaptive.
Your role at ULUU will be highly varied, with clear communication critical to your success. And, as ULUU is a young, exciting, start-up, you don’t mind pitching in other areas of the business when required.
Your role at ULUU will require being proactive, as we’re looking for someone to hit the ground running!
· Lead PHA bioprocess development and scale-up.
· Work with biomass characterisation, hydrolysis and monitoring, effectively contributing to ULUU leads.
· Collaborate with ULUU’s biorefinery, fermentation & biomaterials teams.
· Drive experimentation processes, leveraging best in class research, and reporting outcomes effectively & transparently.
· Collaborate with leading academic and industry partners.
· Assist with field, lab and office work when needed.
· Develop positive working relationships within a tight-knit team environment.
· Adhere to procedures and work systems in a systematic and safe manner.
· Masters degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or equivalent, or Bachelors/Masters with equivalent commercial experience.
· Extensive experience in a biochemistry laboratory is an important requirement.
· Familiar with biochemistry techniques (e.g. preparation of solutions, extraction and characterisation of biomolecules)
· Knowledge and experience in different analytical techniques (e.g. spectrophotometry to chromatographic methods)
· Excellent data management practices
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Perth, Western Australia
Job Salary: A$70k pa + an attractive equity package
At ULUU, we’re looking for people with enthusiasm, grit, and integrity, and who have a calling to do something incredible for the world. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. We’re expecting your skills and passion to stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns.
Please join us on our mission to revive the world with ULUU!
Please apply by sending a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Lab Technician (Monitoring) – your name and surname’ as your email title.